OUGD504: Design For Print - Primary Research On Lino Cut Printing

by Roxxie Blackham on Sunday 10 November 2013

First of all I drew out the ampersand that I wanted on my lino in pencil on some paper..


I then placed this face down onto the lino and scribbled over the back of the paper so that the pencil rubbed off onto the lino, to create a transfer print..


I drew over the shape (that is now reversed on the print) with a biro so that it didn't rub off when it came to cutting the lino..




Then with a thin blade, I carefully cut around the outside lines of the shape so that the background was cut out of the lino..


I used a larger blade to cut through the rest of the background to speed up the process..



I then chose some ink, rolled it out onto some glass with a print roller until it was evenly spread across the print roller, as a thin and constant layer of ink.




After charging the roller, I rolled the ink across the lino cut a few times. This then went face up in between some newspaper with my sheet of A5 paper placed careful above the lino.


I then used a printing machine to press down evenly across the lino to create my print..





To create the print without the veiny looking lines around the outside, I covered the lino print in ink, then stuck masking tape over all the extra parts of the lino that had also been covered in ink. This then went through the same process as before, to create a neater print consisting only of the ampersand in the middle of the paper..




I played around with a few other colours, using the same process to see how they differed as well.







Leave your comment