OUGD403: End Of Module Self-Evaluation

by Roxxie Blackham on Thursday 22 November 2012

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I think that my skills on illustrator have definitely developed through the workshops we had, and the process of constructing my typeface has helped me learn how to use the pen tool to it's full potential. I also think that my research and development skills have improved throughout the term and I'm finally coming to grips with how to use my blog effectively.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I think I've developed my use of fine-liners and inks during my design process, and the use of these black inks and pens has definitely helped me produce my final typefaces as the limit of colour meant that I paid a lot more attention to detail and the general idea I was trying to portray. I think I have approached my designs differently to how I usually would by limiting my resources, which has helped me to come up with strong concepts.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I have identified that I have a strong eye for detail and have also noticed that I can draw out typefaces pretty accurately and sometimes spot on. I applied these strengths to my typeface designs, concentrating on every little detail of each letter so that the typefaces are consisted and almost perfect. I think my attention to detail also helped to create my poster designs to their full potential and I'm extremely proud of the work I've been producing.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
In all honesty I have noticed my main weakness is keeping on top of my blogging and have became better at this as time has gone on. I think this will eventually become second nature and I won't get so stressed and worried about it as I'll know that I'm doing it correctly and thoroughly as my skills start to pick up.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  1. Blog every night so that I am constantly up to date. This will ensure that I am more relaxed about what I still need to do and will also help to improve my blogging skills gradually.
  2. Spend extra time coming up with ideas so that my development sheets are more impressive and at a larger quantity. This will also develop my skills in coming up with good ideas.
  3. I think next time I'd like to experiment with various types of stock for printing on, as this choice of stock often improves designs immediately, because they add texture and a new colour which you hadn't previously thought of.
  4. Experiment with crafts and paints when creating final pieces rather than ordinary use of pens, pencils and computers. This will show more development and ideas for assessment, and I could also end up with stronger ideas than before.
  5. Research into ideas in more depth as this can often strengthen ideas that I have already come up with, but can also help to come up with completely different ideas than before (also visit the library more often for research).
6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
5 = excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor


Leave your comment