OUGD503: Design Responsive - Valentine's Day Card Live Brief

by Roxxie Blackham on Saturday 11 January 2014

I recently received an email through the university for a Valentine's Day card brief..

The email was as follows:


At first I wanted to create something hand-rendered, as I'd like to fill my portfolio with this type of design, however when I started researching into existing cards and items that related to love, I came up with a completely new idea!

This is what I created on Illustrator:


I created a vector outline image of the well known love hearts sweets and simply copied and pasted my image over and over to create a sequence of layers. I wanted it to look like a pack of sweets that have been spilled out onto the page in a pile.

The typeface I chose to use was Brandon Grotesque for the I LOVE YOU inside the sweets. This was turned into an outline and given a stroke of 2mm to make it thicker and rounder, like the outside of the sweets.


I tried to create a heart out of the sweets, but it just looked like a big mess on the page! So I thought I'd make it more simple.


This was definitely starting to look a lot better, however I feel as though it still needs some tweaks here and there to improve..


Once I placed the love hearts where I wanted them, I thought I'd have a go at changing the colours of the love hearts to make it 'cuter' and more aesthetically pleasing..


I chose to work with pastel colours, as they reminded me of the sweets. I also thought pastel colours would compliment one another more than bold, striking colours.



Once I was happy with my final design, I opened up the attachments sent in the email and created some mock-ups of the cards ready for submission..




I am extremely happy with this card design, as it ended up being really simple, yet extremely effective. I hope I get some sales on the website!!

Leave your comment