OUGD505: Chalkboards...

by Roxxie Blackham on Tuesday 15 April 2014

Whilst designing my logo for the brand, I thought about other ways I can tie the brand in together, and I thought about how I could include chalk boards within my designs..

I've recently gained a large interest in sign painting and so I thought I could incorporate this within my designs - this will bring in a bit of information and way finding design into my brief..

I've only ever painted onto a chalkboard once (for a valentine's present) and I used liquid chalk pens. However, I found that when you try to fill a block of colour in with these pens they become streaky or blotchy, for example....



I had a look online and found a company which can produce designed chalkboards through screen printing! So I've sent them a few emails to enquire as to what exactly they could do for me..


I found out that they can pretty much produce everything that I want, but it comes at a price.. So I thought that maybe I should look a bit more into how I can paint on chalkboards and see if I could buy some paints and have a go myself!

I've decided that something like the menu could be sent off to be printed professionally, as it will need to be neat and the typography will need to be perfect! But for the sign outside of the restaurant, I could paint onto wood or chalkboard or anything..

Leave your comment