OUGD505: Studio Brief 3 Poster Design Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Monday 7 April 2014

When it came to coming up with an idea for my Jack Nicholson poster, I was really struggling with ideas. I didn't want to create a poster using his face or film stills, as I felt as though this would have been a pretty obvious approach.

When I watched the film I looked out for memorable moments, and one part of the film that I seem to remember really well is a dream like scene when Jack Nicholson is lead in a sun-kissed field of orange and lemon trees.

I decided to play on the idea of these trees and create my poster around this memorable scene. I like this idea as it doesn't give away much of the film at all. I also felt as though the use of an orange and a lemon could play on the idea of identity within the film and how the two fruits look very similar - similar to David Locke and Mr Robinson in the film... It could be a reflection on the identity swap within the plot.


I decided to use a photo that I had taken of an orange tree before and play with the colours of it to see whether I could make it look like a lemon tree..




However, I felt as though this might not be exploring the idea that far..

So I played around with illustrating a lemon tree myself..









But when I tried using this in the background for my poster, it didn't really work and looked a bit messy and low quality..




So I had a go at using already made patterns, as well as making my own pattern to work with..




The first pattern didn't really work as it was a bit distracting, so I decided to create something a bit more simple - more of a vector..





This vector still wasn't working for some reason.. I tried making vectors of lemons and oranges to incorporate both of the fruits and bring in another colour to play with..



Adding the oranges meant that I could play around with orange, yellow and white colours..





I thought that maybe these vector fruit shapes looked a bit too 'vector-y', so I tried using something that looked juicier and more fruit like..


I quite liked the idea of using slices of lemons and oranges, as they have a really similar look about them..


The pattern seemed to work, but the film poster looked a bit too full on still! A bit too cluttered..




After messing around with the layout of the type, I thought about using less orange and lemon slices.. I scrapped the pattern idea and went with just one slice of each fruit..



I quite liked this effect, but they let like they were just centered for no reason, so I moved them over to the sides and voila!


I wasn't too sure about the layout of the type when it was used in conjunction with the fruit slices, so I moved it around a bit to see how it could differ..



I also altered a bit of the text and colour of the background slightly to make sure that I was using tints of already used yellows..


I decided to change the vector outlined fruit for actual images to make it juicier and more life like..




I still wasn't sure about the text.. It seemed like a bit too much for readability..






However I felt as though it was starting to look more like a book cover than a movie poster..


I had a go at putting an orange pip on the orange segment, to add to the poster and make it look a bit mysterious...


The orange pip looked a bit strange, but I quite like it! I think the typography might need altering slightly...


I felt as though a lot of the type needed to be smaller, as it will be pretty loud and in your face when it's printed!


I still felt as though there was something missing, so I added some smaller orange and lemons at the bottom and made a white border down the side edges..


And I love it!

So I produced two mock-ups for the poster as well on Photoshop...


The colours have gone a bit weird since uploading onto here... I preferred the second mock-up as it suited the design more and was a bit cleaner than the first, it also incorporated the white bordered edges, unlike the first design..


What's strange is that the colours are normal when I uploaded the same jpg file onto Behance..


Leave your comment