OUGD503: Facebook and Instagram Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Sunday 16 March 2014

When it came to designing the cover photo for the Facebook page, I wanted to create something quite feminine and typographic - following a slightly different aesthetic to the posters, as I didn't really want it to come across "samey".



The colour scheme came from the pastel colours that you find on the in-store designs, walls and shelving. We also used the eye-dropper tool with a pastel green colour from The Body Shop website.


The pastel background didn't work very well, so I tried playing around with textured backgrounds taken from the brusho ink backgrounds that I created for the quilling posters.



The lilac background wasn't really working very well, so I tried changing the colours and bringing it from the left hand side.



I also thought about the fact that it wasn't obviously a competition, so created a banner..



When I showed the design to James, he suggested that I changed it a lot, because it didn't really suit The Body Shop's aesthetics as much as it could do. So we created a sketchy heart shape on illustrator, and played around with the layout to make it more interesting.




Adding a banner across the bottom meant that we could add the #beautywithheart to the cover photo..



However, the typeface that I had chosen to use (the script one) really wasn't working, as it didn't suit The Body Shop, so I used a sketchier typeface, which we used for our product and campaign posters.


The green wasn't really working for some reason...



We also found that the 'with' didn't read very well when written in Bebas Neue.



Then we decided to scrap that layout idea and see how it all looked in the centre of the page..


We both thought that this layout worked so much better, and made the design flow better. With a bit of alteration to some of the colours and the banner, this was our final:




We used the same composition on the Instagram page, so that there was continuity throughout the designs.


Using these design styles, I created mockups for the Instagram page..


Leave your comment