OUGD503: Frydays Menu Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Thursday 27 March 2014

When it came to designing the menu, I didn't really have much to go on. Kisha wasn't exactly sure what she wanted. She sent me all the details for the menu in a word document that she had tried to create herself, but she said she wanted it 'neat', 'structured', 'friendly' and to suit the logo that we had come up with..


I quite liked the use of illustration on the menu, as it helped to make it look more nautical, especially due to the fact the fish and chip shop is in Newquay, Cornwall. I think that the simple illustrations suit the logo, and don't take away from the menu.


I added some headings, to split the menu up a bit, and then played around with colour and layout...



I thought that the specials section of the menu should be a bit bolder, to emphasise on the idea that you could get something different from the chip shop, it also broke down the menu a bit.



Everything was moved about a bit again, to see how it looks in a quirky layout..


I wasn't sure about the rope pattern at the top, as it was quite american diner-esque..


I played around with the border surrounding the specials, as the page looked a bit empty after removing the rope..


I also thought about the fact that I hadn't really used any pink colours, and they were only featured in the logo, so I added a bit..


But then I thought that the menu might be a bit too plain, so put the rope border back in, and added another illustration of a whale..


I also tried adding a bit more pink, but I think the lighthouse looks weird now..


This is how far I've come so far, and I've sent this to Kisha to see what she thinks about the menu so far and to see what she wants to change about it and what she likes..


After sending the files over to Kisha, she realised that she hadn't included a few things in the menu, so it was back to the designing and altering some of the information in the menu...

She also preferred the menu with less pink in it..


It was quite difficult to fit all the new information into the design...



To make it easier, I made all the type smaller..



With a few small changes, this was the final menu, that was sent over to Kisha to be printed..


Leave your comment