OUGD503: Frydays Logo Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Thursday 27 March 2014

When it came to designing a logo for Frydays fish and chip shop, I spoke to Kisha about what they wanted from the logo, and we looked at a few typefaces and examples of work to make it clear how I should design it for them..

Kisha wanted something with a vintage feel to it, but maybe a nautical style to link in the idea of fish and chips. She wanted to use blue or red, so I played around with blues and reds to see how they looked separately and together.

We looked at a few logos, and she said that she loved this style..


We also thought about illustration, and came to the conclusion of nautical style illustrations that could be used on the menu or within the logo..


We also discussed fonts, and chose Branboll for the logo and headers..


With these considerations in mind, I created a few logos. Kisha quite likes the american diner style logos that we looked at online, so I went on this kind of idea.


When I showed her my initial ideas, she told me that she really loved the red colours, with a circle around the name of the fish and chip shop. She said that she preferred the darker red, so I developed the idea further from this..




I then produced a lot of variations on the initial logo that she enjoyed. When I showed her a few ideas with the fish included, she really wanted to see how the fish could look some more, so I played around with that as well. But in the end, she decided on the following logo:



I also had a bit of a play around with using rope within the logo..




But I didn't feel as though these worked as well - it looked a bit like a fishmongers!

I felt that there were a few imperfections with the logo, so I played around with the type a little bit more and then sent her the final idea..

Leave your comment