OUGD503: The Stowawayz Design Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Wednesday 4 December 2013

It was quite hard to come up with an idea at first.. The Stowawayz wanted something that reflected their band, but they wanted it to be nautical to suit the name of the band..



At first I was just sketching out samples of typographic styles we could possibly use - thinking about tattoo style typefaces, mainly Sailor Jerry tattoos..


I also thought about how I could incorporate imagery - anchors were a pretty obvious choice as they're about as nautical as it gets, so I played around with how I could use an anchor..



I quite liked the idea of using a larger anchor and wrapping the type around it in a banner style, reflecting on Sailor Jerry tattoo styles..



So I played around to see how it could look in more traditional tattoo typefaces, as well as scripted type..



I preferred using the scripted type, as I'm a lot more confident with drawing it!


Then I thought - why can't the anchor be a guitar as well?!?! So I tried to incorporate these ideas...


I also tried out something that was a bit more than just a scruffy little scamp, to see how it could look when finalised. I really liked this style of anchor and wrap around typography..


So I tried making this anchor shape more into a guitar, but it wasn't really working that well..


 It looked a whole lot better when the anchor was coloured in - this way you could tell it apart and work out that it was an anchor, not some weird shape in the background..


Then I think I got a bit carried away with the nautical theme, as I tried to get octopus legs in the design as well..


Once again it looked better when the anchor was coloured in, but it seemed a bit too overwhelming and cramped for a band logo..


I tried it out with just the octopus legs, as I really loved the use of them, but I'm still not sure on it.. It might look better when vectored!


I also thought about the fact that the band consists of two girls, so I thought about using a pin up style girl in the middle instead of an anchor..


Although I really could not get her face right, it looked a whole lot better when shaded in!! I really liked this idea, as it really suited the Sailor Jerry theme..


I then tried out a few versions on Illustrator, to see how things will look as a vector.. These were quite different to the scamps and mainly pin up orientated..


I quite liked this pin up girl, as she seems really classy, but the typography didn't seem to work on the rolled banner..

It worked a bit better with more tattoo style typography and in red..


But Joe thought that it was really cheesy, so I tried something else..


I made this girl on Illustrator, to make it a bit more nautical and more of a flat vector..

I then thought - this could work really well on their Facebook as the cover photo! So I played around with the layout for that, and also changed the hair colour and the anchor so that it looked like she was playing guitar..


The first thing Joe commented on was the face that she has a lot of skin out, but I argued that this was stereotypical to pin up girls - they had to look sexy and desirable!


I thought that the left hand side might need something so that it wasn't so blank, but I think I got far too carried away!


I really like the use of a shell as a full stop, but I'm not really sure if I need the nautical wheel behind the band name...


I decided to change the hair colour, as it was starting to look slightly like one of the band members (as she has blonde hair). I thought that giving her navy hair would mean that she wouldn't be identifiable, and would look slightly like a mermaid!


The yellow on the anchor looked a bit strange next to all of the blue, so I made them darker as well to suit the pin up girl.. I've sent this final image to The Stowawayz to see what they think...


'The Stowawayz' had to be moved, as when I uploaded it onto the cover photo, it was hidden slightly by the profile picture and read as " The awayz", but I quite like how it sits on top of the profile picture in the cover photo. I also changed the profile picture to the logo that Joe and I created.

The Stowawayz are really pleased with their Facebook cover photo and profile picture!

Joe created the logo and business cards, with a bit of my design input here and there..







Leave your comment