OUGD504: Design For Print & Web Design Development - T-shirts

by Roxxie Blackham on Monday 30 December 2013

As part of my thank-you pack, I have decided to include a t-shirt that has been screen printed and dyed.

I thought that tie-dye would be a fun and creative way of producing colour t-shirts that the customers will enjoy wearing, rather than a blank top with some text on it!



I also thought that the tops could be dip dyed, so that there is space for the design to be printed onto without obscuring the design or words.


I thought that the best way of adding design to the t-shirts, would be to add the Kew Gardens logo onto the front of the top, and then put some sort of design on the back (all screen printed).

I came up with a few little mock-ups on Illustrator and Photoshop to see how it could look before printing..




It was hard to tell what the t-shirts would look like when you couldn't see an actual t-shirt!




I think that the logos will work well on the front of the t-shirts, as there are a lot of t-shirts out there already with a logo on the left hand side of the top. It will also keep the front of the top more simple and aesthetically pleasing.



I'm not particularly sure what font to use on the back of the t-shirt.. Should it look scientific? Or fun? Or girly?

I think the next step will be to tie-dye the t-shirts, take pictures of them and then try photoshopping different designs onto them to see how my final designs will actually look!

I'm going to produce 3 thank-you packs for 3 different plant species, so will dye 3 t-shirts to create 3 unique tops.

Leave your comment