OUGD501: Creating The Publication

by Roxxie Blackham on Thursday 1 May 2014


I have decided to work with a really simple design aesthetic, as I want to concentrate on the imagery. All of the images that I'm going to use within the publication have been selected from Jonathan Leder, American Apparel and Terry Richardson's photos to create quite an erotic, yet artistic publication.

I have decided to work with a pastel pink colour to reflect on the use of female bodies within the publication. I have also tried to use classy pictures on the outer pages and more erotic imagery within the french folds.




I decided to keep the contents page completely simplistic. Rather than including numbering for every page, I thought that it would be interesting to see how the publication works with just the names of the brands / photographers involved in the publication.


Within each "secret" double page spread, I want to use full bleed shocking images that are a bit revealing and in your face. I have decided to try to avoid being safe within the book design, and see how I can cause different reactions through the use of vulgar imagery, such as this photo by Richardson of a model's breasts.

I have moved the images to make room for the spine for japanese saddle stitching, so that the image isn't as obstructed by this method of binding.


I thought about stating who the photographers were within the pages, but then I thought I could try to make these "secret" images look like advertisements for American Apparel..


So I highlighted the necklace for sale..


When it came to the actual pages about American Apparel, I thought that I could highlight their controversy.


I think that the Terry Richardson photos work pretty well as a contrast to the American Apparel catalogue images as they look quite catalogue-esque with the white backdrops and focus on the models.

For each American Apparel page I've tried to match a Terry Richardson photo, to emphasise the sexualisation given to the women, this has also helped to bring continuity to the publication. For example..



The pose in the American Apparel image and the poses within the two images shot by Richardson are really similar. The only main difference is the fact that Richardson's model is stark naked! It's interesting to see how these images could actually be used to sell the little amount of clothing or jewellery that the featured models are wearing.

As I've decided to focus on American Apparel and Terry Richardson, I changed the image for the cover, which I definitely prefer anyway!



This image is more suiting for the publication and compliments the pink, white and black colour scheme.




I also thought about trying to create photo mosaics out of some of the images I used within the publication, so that I could print out some larger posters related to the publication..

I decided to work with black and white images for continuity and attention to the fine detail.




These posters will be printed out at A2 size to go along side the publication.

I decided to add text to the posters so that they were more relevant and relatable.




Poster Mockups




Close-up Shots of Printed Posters




I then went back to the publication and added some contextual information about American Apparel and this was the final publication:



Final Images Of The Publication:



At first glance, the book consists of pages about American Apparel and how they sexualise women in their fashion photography..















But at a closer glance, you notice that each page is in fact a folded page with hidden content inside the pages.


These pages can be ripped along the edge of the page (where the perforation is found), to reveal the more explicit images shot by Terry Richardson that follow a very similar theme to the American Apparel photos.

These pages have been designed to look like look book pages, showing off prices of products that American Apparel could sell, with added quotes about the male gaze.






The tearing of the page is to symbolise the 'deflowering' of the women within the publication and how their dignity and self opinion hasn't been considered.




I really love how when you tear the pages it leaves a rough effect to the edges. This helps to add a dirty feel to the publication.



Leave your comment