OUGD505: Designing The Menu

by Roxxie Blackham on Saturday 17 May 2014

As I've never really had that much Russian cuisine, I had to have a look around online for menus that are currently being used in restaurants in Russia, to get more of a feel for the kind of food that they eat. As my restaurant is going to be more of a fish and seafood restaurant, most of the menu consists of fish dishes, but there are still alternative options and vegetarian dishes.

Also, I ran out of time so couldn't send my menus off to be screen printed onto chalkboards, as I had originally planned, so I've had to change my idea slightly so that they work as table menus..

I got a bit carried away, and at first my menu consisted of 3 pages of 10pt text, but I managed to narrow this down to one two food menus and an alcohol menu (mainly consisting of a large variety of vodka).

Final Designs:




I wanted my menu to be simple and easy to read, but because of the fact that there was a lot of information and a huge variety of food, it has become slightly overwhelming. This is why I decided to split the menu into 3 separate ones, that can be given out individually, rather than double sided menus.

I printed the menu out in black and white to check for spelling errors..



After changing the spelling errors, I printed out the 3 menus. I now need to think of a way of packaging them or placing them on the tables.. When walking around town looking for bottles and napkins, I found some really nice wooden clipboards in Paperchase and thought that they would work really well for the menus!

I used the vinyl stickers that I had previously cut out downstairs, and carefully placed the restaurant name onto the clipboard..








I decided to place all 3 menus onto the same clipboard, one on top of another as I thought that this was an easier and more convenient way of presenting them to the customers, rather than giving them too many things to hold at one time! The vinyl sticker worked well as the colour matched the yellow in the pattern border of the menu!

Leave your comment