OUGD503: Design Development for Gaia Album Artwork

by Roxxie Blackham on Friday 7 February 2014

Going on the idea of the album being called "Destroyer of Worlds", Lee and I both thought that something to do with space and Earth being destroyed, or implied, would be suitable.


His colour scheme is black, orange and white. This is what I produced..



I decided to change the colour of the photo to make it more orangey, to suit the colour scheme..


I thought about adding nebulas or stars to the photograph, to imply the idea of space. The nebula didn't work, it was a bit too much..


A set of stars worked much better!


But you couldn't really see the moon, so I removed stars around the moon..


It then became difficult to read the typography, so I added a transparent bar..


The stars felt too large and unrealistic, so I messed around with the size and layout of them. I also removed stars from around the small meteor and made it a bit brighter..


Lee said he wanted planets in the photograph somehow, so I messed around with this for a while..




However this started to take away from the image, and they looked like marbles!

I also altered the opacity of some of the stars, to make them blend into the horizon better...


I tried adding the planets into the middle of the image, but this still wasn't working for me..


It looked better when I removed the transparent bar, the moon and the shooting star, but I still wasn't happy..


So I added the moon back into the image, and decided to make a giant comet of my own using Photoshop..


With a little bit of tweaking, I created this! Which I'm much happier with.. Now to see how Lee feels.....


Leave your comment