OUGD503: Responsive Partner Questions

by Roxxie Blackham on Wednesday 5 February 2014

Why have you chosen to work with your creative partner? What are your aims?
I have chosen to work with James, because I feel as though we both have different strengths and weaknesses, which will hopefully help to balance out our design style. James works with on screen design much more confidently than I do, so I am hoping to pick up some tips and learn from how he works. I also hope that my craftier side of designing will influence him to get off the computer and try some things out that he isn't so confident with!

What are your specific areas of creative interest in this brief?
I am really interested in working with the hand-made areas of the brief, for example screen printing or paper crafts. I am also excited to see how well our designs photograph, and using my photography knowledge to take interesting photos of our final pieces.

What specific design skills do you have to offer in relation to your chosen brief? How do you intend to use them?
I have crafts skills to offer to the brief that James might not have, for example I know how to use the screen printing facilities for both printing onto fabric and paper, which is something that James hasn't had the chance to do this year! This will be really useful if we decide to create printed bags or even for our poster designs! I can also offer the ability to draw typography well, which will help when designing layouts and coming up with ideas. But this doesn't mean I have no skills on the computer - I have created plenty of mock-ups so feel confident within this area on Photoshop, and I also know how to use InDesign, as I've used it for the past 3 years.

What specific non-design skills do you have to offer in relation to your chosen brief? How do you intend to use them?
I think my people skills are a good thing to offer for our brief, as it means that I'm not scared to phone up the Body Shop or talk to people in store to get information if we need it! I'm also confident when speaking to classmates and I'm not scared to tell people if I think their idea won't be successful, so hopefully this will help when working in a team. I'm also used to working in teams, and I really enjoy working alongside other people!

What will your specific roles be in the collaboration in relation to your brief?
Teaching James how to screen print so that we can both create the final posters together, helping to produce quilled posters, working on design sheets and keeping up to date with my work.

What do you think your individual responsibilities will be in relation to your brief?
- Producing personal research and design boards for submission, as well as contributing these ideas to the design process.
- Using my strengths were necessary and making sure that I always listen to what James has to say.
- Not get offended if he hates what I've produced.

What do you think your joint responsibilities will be?
Making sure that we keep on top of our work and keep ourselves organised. Working as part of a team is also a huge responsibility and we'll need to make sure that we are always a team, rather than listening to one of us and not the other person!

Leave your comment