OUGD503: Type Triathlon Design Development

by Roxxie Blackham on Tuesday 18 February 2014

I originally decided to work with the quote 'less is more' and came up with a few initial sketches for this..



Developing The Final Design

Out of all the original sketches, I definitely preferred 'the ultimate inspiration is the deadline', as the quote was inspiring and working with longer words meant that I had more to play with!









Photos of Final Hand-Rendered Design

The final design was neatened with a thicker pen and coloured in so that it was bolder.





Putting the design onto the computer

I used illustrator to trace over the design that I had already produced and to perfect certain parts of the  typography, especially the sans serif fonts!


I decided to work with a photography of factory workers in the 60's, as I felt as thought this related to the idea of deadlines and working hard, as they worked extremely hard in the factories! I also really loved the vintage feel to the photo, which was also reflected within my typography.

I altered the original black and white photo on Photoshop to make it a monotone photograph. I decided to work with blues at first so that you could see the black typography on top of it, however I didn't really like the effect of this, as the photo seemed too altered.


Finalised Submission



When it came to the final design, I made the photo sepia instead of blue, and this helped to give a vintage feel to the photograph and the design as a whole. The typography was traced over in Illustrator to make it crisper and I filled it in with white so that it stood out against the sepia background.

Leave your comment