OUGD505: Design Development on Context Book, Mock-ups and Packaging...

by Roxxie Blackham on Monday 24 February 2014

Designing the front cover, based on various constructivist and suprematist designs I looked at...



I thought that the title written in cyrillic would look better in different colours and angles..



I didn't really like the italicised font..





Moving my name and making it angled improved the layout..


I messed around with the title written in Helvetica, and changed the capital letters to another typeface..

When it came to the inside of the book, I wanted to keep the layout clear and concise, for legibility and functionality, with complex and Avant-Garde style title pages...


The image on the left hand page came from some work by Malevich..



I felt like the contents needed a bit of Russian written on there as well to add to the layout and aesthetics..


For each title page I played around with the layout of the typography and shapes to create designs that looked like they were produced by Russian Avant-Garde designers / artists...





It started to get a bit busy and disorganised...




At first I was concentrating on layout, rather than content, so I placed some lorem ipsum for the text, to see how it looked next to the title page..


I then went onto creating the title pages for the artists...


Lissitzky's title page was based on his typographic work...



Malevich's title page was quick and simple, as his work is very minimal and mainly shapes..


I struggled to produce something for Zdanevich at first, as his work is very post modernist and expressionist..


I noticed he creates people out of his typography, so I incorporated this within my design...




I struggled to get the letters where I was happy with them..


I went back to Lissitzky's title page and altered bits of it, to make the book a bit more consistent..


Then came the content..



Choosing imagery that worked with the overall aesthetic was really hard..



Producing double page spreads with text and imagery was easy, as I used a simple and clear grid system..


I chose to enlarge quotes and make them red, to add to the aesthetics..




The layout varied between the artists, as I wanted to make the book exciting and fun to read..



It was hard to fill the last pages, as there wasn't a whole lot of information on Zdanevich..



The final publication was ready for the interim crit, this is how it looked:

(the layout has been saved in a way that means that I can print it out in the right order)



Photos of the mock-up book and packaging:



Printed book:





Belly Band Packaging:


Box slip packaging:



Box slip packaging from side of box:




Out of the three packages I created, the third style was the most successful. It seemed to be the correct size, unlike the 2nd packaging box I created, and was really easy to use. With some sort of design on the front, I think it would be a successful way to package my context book!

Leave your comment