OUGD503: Hightone Book Design

by Roxxie Blackham on Friday 14 February 2014

I was asked by Hightone Book publishers to create something typographic to be featured in their publication. They had seen some of my hand-rendered typography on Behance and wanted something similar to what I had already created, but based on the idea of quotes.

I decided to work with a short quote - Love Life.


I created a background using red and purple brusho inks - this made a splattered and textured effect, and looked nice because the colours mixed together on the paper when sprayed with water. Once this was dry, I drew over the background using a fine liner. I really loved the original design, because you could see the background within the lettering, however I felt as though it wasn't completely legible, so I filled the letters in..





This was then scanned into the computer and altered slightly on Photoshop to retain the richness in colour. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a decent scan of the colours, no matter how many different settings I tried!


✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

The second idea I worked on was creating a heart out of ornamental furniture, surrounding the existing type..





I created a background for this typographic piece using the brusho inks, scanned both parts into the computer and overlaid them using Photoshop..


I traced over the drawing to make it neater using Live Trace, but it was still a bit scruffy - however, I didn't mind this as it kept a hand made feel within the design!





What was annoying about the designs was the scanner quality - I could never obtain the rich and exact colours that were produced when I scanned the original copy into the computer, and even with help from Photoshop it was hard to produce something as elegant and soft as the drawing...

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

I sent these two designs over to Hightone Book and they said that they loved them! I'm currently waiting on news about the publication...

Leave your comment